Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rolled Flower & “Grass” Easter Cross

Have you seen THIS wreath?!? 

Go ahead and look.  I’ll wait. 

Do you big puffy heart it as much as I do?  Cuz I do

One problem, though.  I kinda have enough spring wreaths already. 

And nothing against the bunny and his friends, the eggs and baskets, (of which I have a large collection).  But I wanted to emphasize the REASON we celebrate Easter.  Really, without the cross and the resurrection, Jesus’ birth would have been just another “baby story”. . .  and long forgotten by now. 

Off I went to find a Styrofoam cross at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, only to discover they have none.  Zero.  So I did what any self-respecting crafter would do:  attacked the nearest unsuspecting box and made the cross  from cardboard instead!  Here’s how I did it: 

Cut a cross shape from the cardboard and use it to trace another.  Cut it out too and then glue together: 
182

Don’t worry if the edges aren’t perfect – they will be covered in the end.  Then I used a variegated yarn from the stash and started wrapping.  It doesn’t matter too much what color this yarn is.  It doesn’t show in the finished project: 
184

First crosswise and then lengthwise.  You could probably skip this step, but it adds a little more dimension to the finished cross.   Then start wrapping your “hairy” yarn (be sure to use your 40% coupon.  Stuff’s expensive!).

185  

Keep wrapping . . .
188 

And wrapping . . .
189

When  everything is covered to your satisfaction, it’s time to embellish the center.  Personalize this to your own taste/decor.  I almost made one of the little nests with tiny eggs that are so popular this year, but decided to go with rolled flowers instead.  There are a TON of really great tutorials out there for these – I didn’t take photos of this part. 

Rev up the glue gun and glue your flowers in place.
002:

For hanging, I used a scrap of fabric and a metal ring/washer thingy that was in the tool box.  Just hot glue it on the back. 
003


And that’s it! 
001

 

004

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and

perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before

him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and

sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:2

4 comments:

Life With Lucy said...

So pretty! I especially love the rosettes!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Shelley I love the texture the yarn adds - very pretty! I have featured this today. Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful holiday! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Sue said...

This is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

While I'm guilty of often going the "Easter bunny" decor route, I'm also very happy to see decor/projects that depict the TRUE meaning of Easter so of course, I loved this! What a great idea and you've created this beautiful cross out of everyday materials. I like the "roughed up" texture of it as it makes me think of a "rugged" cross and the floral center is a good representation of the new life Jesus' resurrection represents for us. A Blessed Easter to you!

DD

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...